Sunday, October 23, 2016

Using Paper Miniatures

I've been having lots of fun with paper monsters recently.
A selection of Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts Pawns

A Hydra. Sorry, I couldn't remember where I got
 this guy, but great drawing! 
The Death Tryrant. It flips over to other images as it takes damage.
Very cool art from Here



I kickstarted Kobold Press's "Tome of Beasts," and one of the rewards, along with the book and such, was a box of cardboard "pawns" -- basically heavy cardboard with art from the Tome, with the monster printed on both sides. These are great additions to the monster horde I can throw at my players, and having a visual representation that is sized appropriately also helps everyone keep track of things on the battlefield. I'll probably never use them all, but having them around has been awesome so far. Basically, just by using 3-4 of these guys, I've got as much mileage as I would out of a comparable dollar amount's worth of miniatures, and I've still got a few hundred other options to use! So, pretty awesome. I'm considering getting boxes of the Paizo monster versions just to have extras around, even though we're in 5e and not Pathfinder, who's to say I can't just make up stats for the sweet art on those carboards, amirite?
I was so inspired by this idea that before they even came, during a one-off sort of prequel type adventure, I printed off a bunch of my own. To make these, I just downloaded images from the internet (sorry whoever made these, I didn't keep perfect track, but your pictures are great!), printed them out, re-sized them in powerpoint to be the right size from side-to-side, cut them out, and then taped them to 3x5 cards cut to the proper dimensions. These custom, slightly more 3-D figures are ultra-cheap, pretty easy to make, and look far less crappy than I figured they would.

Later, since my players have made it to a big town with a hunter's guild, I ran the preview monster from Hunters Mark against them using another paper monster found here (with no attribution, sorry artist!) and they loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment